Monday, April 19, 2010

Visual Research

Visual research:

Hideyuki Kikuchi’s “Vampire Hunter D” illstrated by Saiko Takaki

I have enjoyed this work since high school, where I saw the animated film. I now have the digital manga on my ipod to enjoy from time to time. In the manga particularly I like his style of story presentation and the way in which he allows the drawing to primarily speak for themselves, relying less on a textual explanation. I also enjoy use of multiple angles in his drawing style.

Scott Hampton’s “Batman”


A fan of Batman since I was young, I was given a book with a collection of drawings of the dark knight and his world. Much of Scott Hampton’s work is in this book presented as images that consume the whole page. These images are very strong as attention to detail is found in the entire drawing. I enjoy his slightly dark style as well as the composition of his final images.

Tracyjb’s “Lackadaisy”


http://tracyjb.deviantart.com/art/Lackadaisy-Butterfly-51808873

I came across this comic browsing Deviant Art. My style is more animal oriented as I find animals easier to draw then people. I particularly enjoy the animated style and likability of the characters in the strip. Nonverbal cues such as facial expressions or body position have always been important to me in drawing as I believe they are essential to conveying much of the emotion intended in scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment